Wednesday, June 3, 2009

For Today

I'm sure you've all heard that there's no sense in thinking about tomorrow, that you can only deal with and accomplish what is in front of you at the moment. Live for today. Sha-la-la-la-la, remember that lyric?

It occurred to me this week, since I once again have time to think, that people like me don't fit into that mold. I wish I could just think for today. I'm a strategic thinker, a planner. I look at the now and think about tomorrow. I'm just built like that. I got that from my mother. She could predict I'd fall down on my face just by the way I sauntered down the hallway.

I do that now to my son. "Be careful. You have too many things in your hands. You're going to ... fall."

I received a "high pass" in my comprehensive exam for my master's degree in none other than ... you guessed it ... strategic management. I was one of the few with the ability to understand what it is like to think ahead, and the necessity at times to do so.

But thinking ahead is a burden. I often wonder how psychics handle things. And for those who believe in a higher power, how do the higher powers do it?

Of course I don't know what's up ahead. But I think about the possibilities, all the time. It works in business but it makes me anxious personally.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, especially in today's uncertain world.

But I suppose it's better than not thinking at all.

As my six-year-old son Logan said to me the other day, "Tomorrow's a new day."

Ah, I predict he's going to be a "future thinker" addict just like mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment