Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Conserve

You know we're talking lately, my family and I, or at least those who do not become offended when the topic is raised, about the "nouveau" Republican regime. Many Republicans consider themselves "conservative". The origin of the word "conserve" is from the Latin, meaning "to save". So why wouldn't they want to save money, our environment, which includes our earth and our natural resources, and our precious youth? You would think then, that Conservatives would prioritize eco-friendly ways of producing energy, providing manufacturing, and invest in more than Wall Street...investing in our future, education, would be more "conservative" in my estimation. I write this as an observer and thinker and "new" political onlooker. I'm not expert, so I welcome comments.

4 comments:

  1. Conserve does mean to save, this is true. What conservatives are largely aiming to save though, in their namesake, is simply the ways and values that made our nation great, independent, hard-working, and accomplished. Fiscal conservatism is just one branch on that tree and has largely been lost in recent years (long ago by the left and more recently by the right).

    As far as the environment, the left may talk more about saving it, but their actions are no different really (I'm talking to you Mr. Gore, and your massive- but largely ignored by the media- carbon footprint). Simple fact: as long as people roam the earth, resources will be depleted... no politician can change that.

    As far as saving our youth, conservatives have done a good job in that effort. Better by a long shot, I'd say, than liberals... who have instituted many rules and policies that help erode rewards for achievement and create new rewards for lack of achievement.

    If kids are taught that they will receive nearly the same reward for ineptitude as they will for failing as they will for second place, as they will for winning, the competitive spirit that our nation was founded on has been removed... and in doing so we will have ignored our precious youth (the same youth who will one day be adults and will need to know a.) how to win and b.) the importance of winning).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you make some intelligent and valid points, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think of myself as a "political onlooker," as I don't have the time or frankly, the pluck... to immerse myself sufficiently to proclaim or argue authoritatively.

    However, outside looking in...I think that we hear the good word, "conserve," from both sides of the aisle, much more often than we see the math, the plan, the metrics, the regulation, the team, the workers, the organization, or any result. We've essentially been talking about conservation and conservative behaviours, since at least the late sixties and as near as I can tell, things aren't better, but all the "good words," are more abundant than ever. What do we do that makes action instead of well wishes?

    Nice Blog! Thanks for letting me respond.

    Best regards,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete