Thursday, June 18, 2009

Whining

At the risk of delving into the whining side of blogging, which I swore I would not do and felt above, this will not be a pleasant column. Yes, that’s what they used to call these “back in the day” when you actually had to pick up paper to read information.

June 18 and it’s 61 degrees in Central New York. This has been the coldest June I remember, even for Central New York, with its temperatures that ebb and flow faster and more frantically than the names pop star Prince used. Not that I typically mind milder weather, as long as it doesn’t dip below 50. And though this phrase is ubiquitous to Central New Yorkers, “At least it’s not snowing”.

A year ago we were in Maryland visiting Ted, Diane, Alex and Cher under 100+ temperatures and wiping our brows every few seconds, praying that the next restaurant would have air conditioning and smashing crabs with gavels. I don’t know if they have a real name, but that’s what I called them. Order in the restaurant. And our dog Maggie jumped off our boat and onto the restaurant property, encircling the outdoor tables in search of Mom and Dad and probably fresh air. Bold as brass. Like I said, let’s get some order in the restaurant!

Today, my family, near and dear to me, is the only thing on my mind. It has been a terrible year for my family thus far. Another family member, who is 83, said this was the worst year she’d ever personally experienced. I share her sentiment. And you know, she was alive during World War II and in 1929.

It isn’t just the economy, but it’s just very, very sad. Many of my family members are experiencing health issues, and most of them are younger than me. While this does not seem fair, it does make me even more thankful for my health, especially considering the lousy health care plan my former employer, in its infinite wisdom, chose. So I guess I should feel guilty and shameful for complaining that my legs are too short and my arms too long.

So we await good news for the swine flu victim who also has diabetes and who earlier in the year had a low blood sugar scare (she kicked off the year for us); her mother who is in excruciating back pain; her brother who needs other support; my husband who had a carotid artery surgery earlier this year and a health concern last week; my brother who continues to suffer from MS; my husband’s cousin who may have TB or pneumonia; my father-in-law who must undergo a bran scan; my sister, who continues to suffer with her own physical ailments including thyroid problems; niece Valerie who has cervical cancer and her brother who needs other support; and various other private and personal physical concerns.

I’ve seen enough of doctor’s offices and hospitals to write an episode of the new Showtime series with Edie Falco.

It doesn’t stop with the physical and health concerns. Family woes, with breakups, counseling, and layoffs, have plagued a number of us. The only thing I can say for certain is my layoff was the least of the family problems. Well, perhaps my brother-in-law’s layoff is at the bottom of the concerns list, because he just received a new job. Way to go, Hank!

And the list does not close there. Deaths. My mother-in-law’s beloved twin brother, her “womb mate”, as he most cleverly referred to himself, passed away last week. Though he lived a full and happy life and raised three children, this is a sad event. Earlier this spring I lost my former supervisor, who, at the age of 52, died suddenly of a heart attack. The same week my husband lost his co-worker, age 58, who suffered for years of cancer. I also know of the passing of a work acquaintance, who died in March at 62 after a short bout with cancer. And a friend of mine, Cher, lost her mother very recently as well.

I want to end on a good note. Richie and Kenny and the little kids, thanks for not having any problems! Please keep it up! And thank goodness for my second cousin Kristi, the cancer researcher, who not only had a chance at applying to be a U.S. astronaut … yes, that is correct …but she’s getting married in August to a soon-to-be physician. And my husband’s second cousin Kim just became an obstetrician gynecologist. My father-in-law said he likes her but she’s not someone he’d want to visit medically. And Kristi and Kim are both gorgeous blondes too; so much for those terrible blonde jokes.

Yes, I actually have a scientist and physicians in my family. I tell Kristi that she must have inherited the left-brain activity from her father’s side (unrelated to me). But she thinks she’s uncreative, so, we’re even.

And of course, I’m still pleased with our President, who can even catch flies “on the fly”. Way to go! Come catch the moths at my house. They’ve taken over. With Obama, at least there’s some hope, as audacious as I may be to use the word these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment