Monday, November 24, 2014

October


As October, my favorite month, neared, I made myself a promise that I’d enjoy each day as though it would be my final. I knew from experience that the month would fly by, and thus, I wanted to create memories. I did not expect extraordinary events; I just wanted to remember the little things, as I felt the weather cool down and the leaves turn and fall.

I feel my plan worked. I jotted down my daily activities the first nine days of October, but then I just lost track. I have photos I can reference and recall the fun times. And I remember the more significant outings, and when they took place.

But the point is, and actually I have two: one, I had so much fun that I had no time to document things daily; two, I actually did not fear going into November, because I can continue this strategy!

What am I referring to? Why, just simple morning walks with my kids Logan and Angel, and dogs, Maggie, Jimmy and Rose, breathing in the fresh “fallen leaf” scent, enjoying a day off or leaving work early and…most importantly, catering more to my kids and myself than rushing to get to work on time.

Yes, I was late for work quite a bit in October, and I had to leave early sometimes due to family doctor appointments or illness, but even so, I did not go crazy trying to make up the time. I used to have a plaque that stated something like, “My house is a mess but I have more time for my kids.” That was me in October, and to this day.

So I’m out of personal time, but I am not upset; I feel complete, relieved, renewed. Yes, I do have to clean up and straighten my kitchen, and yes, I could have done more some of the days I took off or left work early recently. But the point is, I did what I could, and I did what mattered most and felt right. What mattered most was spending more quality time with my loved ones, mostly spontaneously. And those chores will get done! In retrospect, I do much better with housework than most of my younger peers considering!

I did not focus on rushing to different places with my loves, but rather, just sitting and enjoying them. I did not plan and stick rigidly to schedules; if Logan did not want to take a walk, I watched him play video games and asked him questions about them.

We went on a brief out-of-town excursion Columbus Day weekend, to Old Forge. We may make this a tradition, as we went to Old Forget last year the same weekend. We intended on staying in our camper at Singing Waters Campground but instead happened upon some cabins in White Lake. This was Angel’s first experience camping and/or staying anywhere away from home since she began to walk! We have not even stayed in a hotel since last January.

We ate dinner at Buffalo Head Restaurant in Forestport. Rich and Logan stopped into the Station Country Store that has lollipops with bugs in them. Two years ago they bought me one with a scorpion and this year I got a meal worm. Yum! We rode the Adirondack Train from Thendara the next day.

On Columbus Day, my October day off from work, I had plans to take Logan and Angel to the zoo and pumpkin picking. We only did the latter because somehow I knew my Angel needed her rest. Being in tune to her needs was more important than rushing to the zoo. And later in the day we took them and my young grandkids to the mall to ride the carousel and eat dinner, something we had not planned in advance.

My free-form style, new to me, actually worked when it came to enjoying my children. Did I still want to go to the zoo? Yes, and we went when I had off for Veteran’s Day! And luckily we caught another beautiful weather day.

I’m amazed how this all worked out. Simple strategy, but sometimes complex to stick to.

And in keeping with my typical style, yes, I will outline the highlights of the month of October.

Goodbye old friend October, and I’ll see you again in roughly 10 months!

 

The first day of October I found myself accompanying Rich, my husband, to his knee surgery appointment. We’d planned on this and took the day off. Everything went off without a hitch, and I later made a trip to purchase some bandages and such. I also walked my dog Jimmy. I find that even if the reason for taking a day off is less than pleasant, that it beats the alternative.

Yes, I find my job boring. I make no bones about it, sorry for the pun!

The second day of October I brought Angel to her biological parents’ visit, but beforehand I brought her for a walk. She in her stroller, I in my running outfit, we viewed the geese flying south, or flying wherever they believe they should be going. Angel is fascinated by geese!

The next day I decided to go home and baby Rich. Not that he really needed me to dote on him, but the weather had been really nice. I love Indian summer and of course autumn, and I’d made myself a promise that I would try to enjoy as much of the weather as I could. And I can’t enjoy it sitting in a cramped room full of people. You see, we are in a temporary office location at work currently, and it’s less than ideal. So catering to a post-surgical person was better than, again, the alternative! Plus I got to take a walk. Logan’s friend Ryan stayed over that evening.

The following day, Saturday, we attended an annual event in Tully, hosted by a fellow band member of my son-in-law, Shaggy. It is a family event, replete with games, food, and music. No Excuse, Shaggy’s acapella group, performed. It was a rainy and nippy day but we had fun regardless. We’d attended this event two years ago, and, like then, we invited Logan’s friend Dariel as well.

We visited my mother-in-law Erna the following day, and then back home for a scheduled dinner with friends Carol and Raelynn, her granddaughter whom we’ve known from birth. Logan was very shy around her, but by evening, they were playing video games and chit-chatting like old friends that they actually are. On Halloween, the two of them flirted endlessly!

The next day we had my oldest stepdaughter Candace and son Cameron, partner Jennifer, and her parents Jack and Pat over for dinner. Somehow I thought we’d get to kayak, as the weather continued to be nice. But, alas, we did not. We dined al fresco, showing off our newly redone deck.

As I got dinner ready I noticed a huge lump the size of a tennis ball on Maggie’s right side. I remembered she’d fallen off the bed earlier and hoped it was a bruise, since it developed so very quickly.

The next morning the bump was smaller, and it continued getting smaller as time went on. This certainly was a relief; this girl has been through so much in her 15 years on this planet!

The following morning after Candace and company came for dinner I enjoyed a great jog. I’ve been walking and/or jogging daily with few skips, since July 23. And I’m seeing and feeling the benefits! I’m so proud! And I’m trying to eat better, too. I have more energy and I don’t feel like napping after picking up and carrying Angel!

The next morning I walked with Jimmy around the corner from my house, back in the woods. Well, while I attempted a selfie, he inadvertently tripped me and I fell on my ankle. I was fine but later walked over a twig wearing heels. Ironically, that did hurt! But I was fine.

As I took my morning walk October 9 I took in the beauty that is my property and neighborhood. I pondered the question, “Who needs to go away when one lives in a place like this?” Truly magnificent! As I said earlier, the weather was on our side, unless you prefer the cold and snow. My favorite temperatures are 50-70 degrees, and that’s what we had this autumn. We even had temperatures in the 80s a couple of days; that’s too much for me!

Angel wore her animal print dress; I accompanied Logan, equipped with scooter, to his bus stop. The mornings were still dark, as we awaited daylight savings time to end. This year, it was not until the first Sunday in November.  But now, the afternoons are darker and it is not so pleasant leaving work. Rich brought Angel to her parental visit and learned her baby brother was born the first week in October.

Speaking of trying to notice things, what's up with this huge pup? Rose, Jimmy's daughter, is growing so fast. She is more than half the size of her dad but was just born July 19. She also is difficult to photograph as she's so dark. She has absolutely no fur markings either.

Columbus Day this year fell a little later, October 13. Rich worked in the morning so I hung out with the kids. Originally we’d discussed going to the zoo. When Rich returned home for a brief stop, we went pumpkin picking across the river and later, for an unplanned fun trip, to the mall to let Logan and Angel and our grandkids Zari and Xav ride the carousel and eat at Pizzeria Uno.

Thursday, October 16, Rich and I attended a parent-teacher conference with Logan’s team of teachers. They said he has some difficulties focusing, which is no surprise; but I’m happy that like most of his past teachers, they apparently have recognized his fantastic abilities and intellect.

We convinced Logan, per invitation by his school, to join Junior CafĂ© Scientifique through The Technology Alliance of Central New York, and we attended our first event Saturday morning, the 18th. A scientist demonstrated “spooky” science, such as fog making, and other eerie scientific experiments. We all attended and brought Angel, who was very bored and just wanted to cruise as all relatively new walkers do. It was a nice event, replete with Dunkin’ Donuts coffee and bagels. On the way home Rich and I got our impromptu flu shots at Walgreens. Logan, Angel and I attended the November event on Dinosaurs; Rich was working. Logan thought the lecture was over his head, and from what I could hear I agree. But Angel enjoyed checking out the museum exhibits and dinosaur room. She was totally unafraid of the sights and sounds!

The following Monday, the 20th, my dear late brother Fred would have been 64. It also marked 10 years since Logan came to our household! We’d planned to take him out to a surprise dinner. I, too, received a surprise that morning. I found Angel would need a new daycare as Marlene was losing a staff person. We took Logan to Bville Diner and ironically saw one of the staff members of Angel’s former care provider!

I had planned on taking Friday the 24th off to ready for our annual Halloween bash. Instead, I had to take off Wednesday the 22nd, off due to Angel being sick with a cough and low-grade fever. Rich was working for part of the day. Once he and Logan arrived home, we all went to Enhance for Angel’s previously scheduled well visit. There, she attempted to follow strangers out the door! The doctor said she was just fighting a cold, and she was still able to receive her shots.

I left work early on Friday the 24th, so Logan and I could shop for Halloween. Later we picked up the baby, went to Whiskey Hollow to fill up some gallons of spring water, and then picked up Rich and went to Child Time, her new daycare, to check it out.

The following day was our annual Halloween party. This year I did not invite too many people. And as a result, we had a slim turnout. Most of Logan’s friends had other plans but Luke was able to come. I did not invite work friends because I got the impression that last year some people felt left out. So much for trying to introduce my work friends’ kids to my son! So I did not want to put them through this anguish this year.

Yes, it was sad, and it at times also was overwhelming, as  we discussed how or if to do apple bobbing; some of the kids got loud; one guest came late; some family could not come due to being ill. Rich said we probably should stop hosting. I’m on the fence. I really enjoy Halloween, my favorite holiday, and we can make it work. But we will have to strategize the varying age groups and somehow accommodate, nay, force, more parents who simply drop off their kids and go, to stay. I think many of them would rather have alone time or drink.

Considering the cessation of our Halloween tradition also reminds me that Logan is growing up; he seemed much less interested. Part of that is that he can see his friends any time. In fact, Ryan came to stay over that evening when he arrived back home from his Boy Scout trip. Luke had planned on staying over aw ell. Maybe we can change the party format somehow.

October 31, Halloween. Angel’s final day at Marlene’s daycare.

Another very much cherished tradition, bringing the kids to the Village of Liverpool to trick-or-treat. Logan does not care about the candy, but this year he seemed to care more about Raelynn!

As I said, he’s growing up. He is changing, just as the seasons and weather change. We had lots of snow recently, and today, November 24th, it is beautiful and 62 degrees.

But tomorrow it will be cold and snowy again.

Hello, November. I plan on making each day count during this month, too. Fifteen degrees, snow and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment