Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Getting Back to Eight

March 19 I made a vow to myself to get back into shape. I was lucky enough to have good weather on my side, so I began jogging outdoors, something I had not done in nearly two years on a regular basis. I have been only walking a short distance (compared to what I used to do) on weekends, holidays and vacations. And I have been feeling very listless, tired, and guilty about not doing my regular 2.5 mile jog.

One of my favorite times in my life was when I was laid off from a company that moved to Mexico, back in 1994. It was then that I jogged daily and later, worked at night (freelance) and attended classes toward a Master’s degree. What I got from that time frame was not only a Master’s that is useless to me, but a renewed love and appreciation for how jogging makes me feel.

I was inspired in the 70s by my brother Fred, who at that time, way prior to his death, ran 10 miles per day. And I mean “run” when I say it. I feel he inspires me again today, and I’m only sad that I did not listen to his inspiring and encouraging comments sooner.

The other inspiration came from the nurse at a recent doctor’s appointment, who weighed me. Since experiencing an eating disorder at 15, I learned quickly not to weigh myself often, so I don’t weigh myself at all. However, believing her scale, and always coming back to the notion that I am “fat”, I quickly noticed my belly. And then there were the summer pants from last year that were tight.

My friend Karen says to use a pair of pants to gauge ones weight. And I will use those.

In the little over a week that I’ve returned to my former love, jogging, I truly already feel more alive, refreshed, mentally more aware, and creatively more inspired, hence this blog. I kid you not. I even feel I dropped some weight. It will not show up on the scales, and I don’t care; it will show when I put on those capris when the weather warms up again.

I bundled myself up today, since it is now 27 degrees compared to last week’s 82. I walked out of my office at my lunch hour, noticing two co-workers. They were taking a smoking break. One of them had shared with me how upset she was at gaining some winter weight. She sat on a bench and took a puff of her cigarette.

It amazes me how few people were out walking compared to last week. And even then, how many more people were sitting around or smoking instead! I used to walk around the corner to buy a sub at lunch; now I’m committed to running at lunch.

I do feel less hungry and more alert and healthy when I jog.

I passed just one other jogger on the way back from my 2.25 mile stint. I smiled at him. Somehow, I knew he was probably also happy that the trail was not packed, but sad that no one else knew what we knew…that jogging is awesome!

I passed another woman who wore a track suit. Disheartened again, I noticed she sat down with a cigarette.

I think I will write a daily blog in hopes that I can inspire others to start or resume an exercise routine.

Meantime, I have to stretch and do some sit-ups.

Catch you later on my road back to my size 8s…aw yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment